About Chemtura : Historical Timeline
  • 1830-1859

    1837

    William Crompton invents a new cotton loom for weaving patterns and opens a mill.

    1840s

    Crompton Loom Works, a textile machinery company, is founded in Worcester, Massachusetts, USA.

    The Goodyear Metallic Rubber Shoe Company is founded in Naugatuck, Connecticut, USA by Charles Goodyear.

    Goodyear patents the rubber vulcanization process, which changes rubber into a flexible, more usable form.

  • 1860-1899

    1862

    A patent for power looms is awarded to Lucius J. Knowles, who, with his brother, Francis, establishes the L.J. Knowles and Brother Co. in Warren, Massachusetts, USA.

    1878

    Entrepreneur Charles R. Flint, whose family once owned the second-largest sailing fleet in the United States, begins dealing in rubber in addition to munitions.

    1879

    After years of fierce competition, Crompton merges with the Knowles brothers to form Crompton & Knowles Loom Works.

    1892

    Charles Flint brings together nine rubber footwear manufacturers to form the United States Rubber Company, much later known as Uniroyal Inc. One of the companies is the Goodyear Metallic Rubber Shoe Company in Naugatuck, Connecticut.

  • 1900-1919

    Early 1900s

    Crompton & Knowles Loom Works is the world´s largest manufacturer of multicolor looms and weaving machines, sold in more than 50 countries.

    1901

    Samuel P. Colt, nephew of the inventor of the Colt revolver, becomes president of U.S. Rubber, which controls 70% of the U.S. rubber footwear business.

    1914

    World War I - Crompton & Knowles Loom Works is a major supplier of textiles for the war effort.

    1915

    World War I - Imports of aniline oil are cut off; U.S. Rubber builds in Naugatuck, Connecticut, one of the first U.S. plants to make the product, which reduces the time to vulcanize rubber from hours to minutes.

    1917

    U.S. Rubber adopts the Keds® brand name for footwear and begins producing rubber hoses, conveyor belts, tires and tire tubes. The company adopts the U.S. Royal® brand name for its tires. The name later becomes Uniroyal®.

  • 1920-1939

    1920s and 1930s

    U.S. Rubber begins developing new products, including crop protection products and synthetic rubber.

    U.S. Rubber becomes the largest rubber chemicals producer in the USA, supplying tires to 75% of the automobile industry.

    Robert Wishnick and David and Julius Trumpeer form the Wishnick-Trumpeer Chemical Company, supplying compounding ingredients to rubber manufacturers and colored inks to ink producers.

    1936

    Great Lakes Chemical Company is founded in Michigan to extract bromine from underground salt water brine deposits.

    Wishnick-Trumpeer Inc. joins Continental Oil Co. and Shamrock Oil & Gas Corp. to form Continental Carbon Co., one of the world´s largest producers of carbon black, used in tires.

  • 1940-1949

    1941 WWII

    Crompton & Knowles Loom Works textile plants are converted to make fuses for anti-aircraft artillery shells and other war equipment.

    U.S. Rubber supplies the U.S. Army with inflatable lifeboats, gas masks, diving suits, raincoats, barrage balloons, bullet-healing fuel tanks, explosives and ammunitions. Each B-17 Flying Fortress bomber uses half a ton of rubber.

    U.S. Rubber operates the largest synthetic rubber plant in the world in Naugatuck, Connecticut. U.S. Rubber´s chemical division also is a leader in the manufacture of plastics and crop protection products.

    Wishnick-Trumpeer helps formulate tire compounds based on synthetic rubber and in 1944 becomes Witco Chemical Co.

    1948

    Great Lakes Chemical Company is acquired by McClanahan Oil. The new company is called Great Lakes Oil and Chemical Company

  • 1950-1969

    1954

    Crompton & Knowles Loom Works diversifies and changes its name to Crompton & Knowles Corporation.

    1950s

    Crompton & Knowles acquires Althouse Chemical Company, which manufactures dyes for fibers. The company becomes a leading U.S. supplier of dyes, chemicals and electronic and industrial products.

    Becoming a specialty chemicals company, Witco develops stearates as mold lubricants, heat stabilizers and plasticizers and in 1966 purchases Argus Chemical to become the world´s largest producer of PVC stabilizers.

    1959-1960

    Great Lakes evolves from an emphasis in oil and gas to bromine-based chemicals, and the company changes its name to Great Lakes Chemical Corporation. The company builds the world´s largest bromine plant in South Arkansas.

    1960

    Witco acquires Sonneborn, firmly establishing the company as a supplier of petroleum additives.

    1965

    U.S. Rubber brands are unified under the Uniroyal name. Uniroyal Inc. has 62,000 employees manufacturing and marketing 33,000 products produced in 89 plants and sold in 180 countries. The company produces everything from tires and upholstery for automobiles to cushions, carpet yarns and footwear to golf balls, fishing boats and bathing caps to chemicals and extruded parts.

  • 1970-1989

    Uniroyal undergoes restructuring and sells businesses and plants to focus on key businesses, including rubber chemicals, EPDM, crop protection products and polymer additives. The company becomes smaller and more focused and no longer makes or sells tires and some other consumer products.

    Witco focuses on being a specialty chemicals company and becomes a Fortune 500 company.

    1974

    Great Lakes $20 million expansion includes a new bromine plant and several flame retardant facilities in South Arkansas. The company acquires several businesses over the next several years.

    1986

    Uniroyal Chemical Company is formed as a subsidiary of Avery Inc. Uniroyal Goodrich Canada Inc. is formed when BF Goodrich and Uniroyal are merged.

    1989

    UCC Investors Holding buys Uniroyal Chemical from Avery. UCC Investors Holding becomes Uniroyal Chemical Corporation.

  • 1990-2005

    1992

    Witco grows its business portfolio with the acquisition of organometallics businesses from Schering AG.

    1993

    Witco acquires the organosilicones business of Union Carbide.

    1996

    Crompton & Knowles Corporation and Uniroyal Chemical Company merge. With competition from Asia increasing, the new Crompton & Knowles begins to exit the dyes business and focus on specialty chemicals.

    Uniroyal Chemical Corporation becomes a public company and in 1996, Uniroyal Chemical and Crompton & Knowles Corporation merge.

    1999

    Crompton & Knowles merges with Witco Corporation to form CK. Witco Corporation.

    2000

    CK Witco�s shareholders vote for a name change to Crompton Corporation in April.

    2005

    Crompton Corporation and Great Lakes Chemical Corporation merge in July 2005 to form Chemtura Corporation, the fourth-largest publicly traded specialty chemicals company in the United States and one of the largest producers and marketers of plastics additives in the world.

    The new Chemtura Corporation sells its Organosilcones business to GE, and simultaneously acquires GE´s specialty chemicals business.

  • 2006 - Present

    2007

    In January Chemtura acquires Kaufman Holdings Corporation, which includes two successful operating companies, Hatco Corporation and Anderol Inc., which fit in very well with Chemtura´s successful Petroleum Additives and lubricants business.

    2009

    Chemtura enters bankruptcy as a debtor-in-possession under the protection of the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York.

    2010

    Chemtura emerges from bankruptcy in November. "Today marks a new beginning for our company, and our employees, customers and suppliers," said Craig A. Rogerson, Chemtura´s Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer. "With the successful completion of our financial restructuring, we have significantly reduced our debt, improved our cost structure and resolved a considerable amount of environmental and other liabilities."

    2011

    Chemtura enters into a joint venture agreement with UP Chemical Co., Ltd. to form DayStar Materials LLC, a South Korean manufacturer and marketer of high-purity metal organic precursors for the rapidly growing LED market. The joint venture leverages Chemtura´s capabilities and technology related to organometallics specialty chemistry and strengthens its position in that market.

    2013

    Chemtura begins implementation of a portfolio management strategy designed to focus the Company on its core business segments. As part of that strategy, on May 1st Chemtura completes the sale of its Antioxidant and UV Stabilizers business, including dedicated manufacturing plants in the U.S. and Europe to affiliates of SK Capital Partners for $200 million.

    On May 15 Chemtura announces it has acquired UP Chemical´s 50 percent stake in DayStar Materials, LLC, making Chemtura sole owner.

    In October, Chemtura dedicates a new production plant for petroleum additives and urethanes in Nantong, China. The move helps Chemtura create value for customers and other stakeholders by supporting its business growth with increased manufacturing capacity in faster-growing regions while also demonstrating its commitment to customers in China and the greater Asia-Pacific region.

    2014

    Continuing the transformation of Chemtura´s portfolio of businesses, the Company completes the divestiture of two business units in 2014, beginning with the sale of its Consumer Products business to KIK Custom Products for an adjusted purchase price of $300 million. The sale includes BioLab´s pool products businesses in North America, South Africa and Australia/New Zealand, its European division known as Bayrol, as well as its household care business in North America and several dedicated manufacturing plants. In November, ChemturaAgrosolutions is sold to Platform Specialty Products for $1 billion. Chemtura will continue to produce agricultural chemicals under supply agreements with Platform.

    Chemtura completes a Dutch Auction tender offer in December, repurchasing more than 12 million shares of its common stock, thus returning approximately $300 million of value to shareholders.

    2015

    Chemtura increases its share repurchase program by $150 million. Since stock repurchase activity began in 2011, Chemtura has distributed more than $860 million to shareholders through the well-timed repurchase of more than 1/3 of the Company´s outstanding shares.